The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• January 10Softball tryouts are Feb. 12-13. Email Coach Buchanan or Coach Brown for more info.

• January 10Drivers Education applications are in the counseling office. Apply ASAP!

• January 10PSAT results are in!

• January 10Seniors: Check the board next to the counseling office for scholarship opportunities.

• January 10Makeup exams will be held Jan. 8-11 after school in the library.

• December 4Senior yard signs will be on sale for $20 until April 6.

• December 4Senior quotes are due Dec. 15 to Laura Kim.

• October 24If you plan to ride the late bus please sign up before 8th period

• October 10Seniors: Check the spelling and accuracy of your name on the counseling window!

Keeping Indy Kind

KINDY Lunch Bunch is the perfect opportunity to gain service hours,  make new friends, and welcome new students to Indy Nation.

KINDY Lunch Bunch is the perfect opportunity to gain service hours, make new friends, and welcome new students to Indy Nation.

Taylor Rainbolt, Staff Writer

As depicted in countless high school movies, such as Mean Girls and High School Musical, the high school lunchroom can be a terrifying, daunting place. Walking into a cafeteria crowded with unfamiliar faces can be extremely nerve-racking, therefore Independence is reintroducing a student-led mission to create a more welcoming, kind environment.

This friendly group joins Kindness and Indy into KINDY bringing smiles to students from all grade levels. Their mission is to welcome new students and bring new friendships to the lunchroom. Volunteers have signed up generously and are willing to offer a small portion of their time during lunch to welcome a fellow student at their lunch table.

This experience carries an abundance of benefits to students participating. One of many is volunteers will receive hours toward clubs and resumes for joining the new crew/lunch bunch. Students also have a chance to get to know new students that have the same interest, and best of all students are working in unity to improve Indy Nation.

Wondering how this works? Well it only takes a few simple steps. Use the QR code below and it will take you to a Google Form. Each person has the option to sign up as a student who wants to branch out or as a volunteer. After, there will be a few brief questions in order to pair students with similarities. The final step is to be open minded and maintain an amicable personality; with these qualities students can shape Independence into the hospitable environment we all want.

Scan the code to welcome and be welcomed to the Indy family.

In previous years the idea of having a supportive lunch program did not blossom, but the Indy community this year is exceedingly gregarious. The KINDY lunch bunch crew already has 24 open and ambitious students working together, and it continues to grow. Each student can make a difference, and this is the perfect opportunity to step up.

#beKINDindY

3