The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• January 10Softball tryouts are Feb. 12-13. Email Coach Buchanan or Coach Brown for more info.

• January 10Drivers Education applications are in the counseling office. Apply ASAP!

• January 10PSAT results are in!

• January 10Seniors: Check the board next to the counseling office for scholarship opportunities.

• January 10Makeup exams will be held Jan. 8-11 after school in the library.

• December 4Senior yard signs will be on sale for $20 until April 6.

• December 4Senior quotes are due Dec. 15 to Laura Kim.

• October 24If you plan to ride the late bus please sign up before 8th period

• October 10Seniors: Check the spelling and accuracy of your name on the counseling window!

College Money is On the Line: Seek it Out

Sierra+Falcone+is+so+excited+to+be+accepted+into+the+University+of+Alabama+at+Birmingham.+
Sierra Falcone is so excited to be accepted into the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Baylee Kalb, Staff Writer

The leaves are fallen, the weather is colder, and the scholarships are piling up as November comes to an end.

Most, if not all, seniors have been applying for scholarships left and right. This week, November 30 and December 1 specifically, is a popular deadline for college scholarships in order for admissions teams to have a good amount of time to review applications and respond as quickly as possible.

I asked Sierra Falcone about her scholarship processes, both of which were due by this Friday. “I applied to University of Kentucky and University of Alabama at Birmingham,” Falcone said. “I applied for a $10,000 yearly scholarship to UK, and a $12,000 yearly scholarship to UAB.” These scholarships were considerably large in sum, seeing that UK costs about $38,000 a year, and UAB is $27,000 a year.

All scholarships have their own criteria and assignments, depending on what the scholarships are for.

Falcone explained “both scholarships were for tuition specifically, and I had to write essays based on what my career goals were and the plans I had for when I graduate with my degree.” Falcone’s top college choice is UAB, where she plans to enroll in nursing school. “To be early accepted with the nursing school scholarship, I had to write an essay on the impact of nursing on the patient,” she explained.

Seniors! If you are in need of scholarships, go to the school Website at www.wcs.edu/ihs/school-counseling/college-planning/ to find recommended resources that have great offers. I myself have read and turned in many of these scholarships, most of them being essays about my academic future and aspirations in life. One scholarship that I just completed was a $10,000 scholarship from a Ronald Raegan foundation based on how involved I am in my school community with clubs and activities. There are also a copious amount of scholarships that do not require essays, so you can submit quick and easy entries without taking up too much of your time. If you can’t find any good scholarships online, don’t worry! Last week, I found a HUGE book for thousands of scholarships in the country, divided up by sections such as state of residency, ACT/SAT scores, financial income, and many more.

There are so many scholarships that students never know about, so I encourage all families to take a small part of their week and put it towards entries. Setting up interviews with your counselor is another great place to start, and a great way to make your dream school become real life.

0