The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• January 10Softball tryouts are Feb. 12-13. Email Coach Buchanan or Coach Brown for more info.

• January 10Drivers Education applications are in the counseling office. Apply ASAP!

• January 10PSAT results are in!

• January 10Seniors: Check the board next to the counseling office for scholarship opportunities.

• January 10Makeup exams will be held Jan. 8-11 after school in the library.

• December 4Senior yard signs will be on sale for $20 until April 6.

• December 4Senior quotes are due Dec. 15 to Laura Kim.

• October 24If you plan to ride the late bus please sign up before 8th period

• October 10Seniors: Check the spelling and accuracy of your name on the counseling window!

“Fashion Back in the Day…”

Oversized+sunglasses%2C+high+waisted+pants+and+a+neon+shirt+truly+shows+the+essence+of+the+80s.+
Oversized sunglasses, high waisted pants and a neon shirt truly shows the essence of the 80s.

Brittany Swayze, Staff Writer

Fashion is always changing due to many things like: seasons and trends.

In the 1980’s, many popular things to wear were leotards, tights and tracksuits. 1980’s fashion was all about color, size and experimentation. They wore blue mascara and yellow eye shadow, they had hair to the skies and shoulder pads not far behind it, and the lines between men’s and women’s fashion blurred. Many of the biggest fashion trends of the 80’s were unisex. This was the era of Madonna, Michael Jackson and Princess Diana. Many people would say that these people were the “trendsetters” of the decade.

The 1990’s was a complete 360 with grunge fashion consisted of flannel shirts, ripped jeans, combat boots, band t-shirts, over-sized knit sweaters, long and droopy skirts, ripped tights, Birkenstocks and eco-friendly clothing made from recycled textiles. Many of the known and love 90’s tv-shows include The Fresh Prince of Bel-AirFriends and Saved by the Bell. As Cher from Clueless, would say “As if.”

Today, fashion is going back to basics. With kids rocking band t-shirts with a flannel and ripped jeans. One trend that has been super popular is the choker. All things denim are coming back in style from jackets, skirts and even dresses. Another popular accent that has come back is the scrunchies, which hold even the most difficult of hair.

With today’s fashion changing so rapidly, we don’t know what the fashion of tomorrow is going to be.

1