INDYNOW

• April 10No prom tickets will be sold after April 18.

• April 10Charging in the cafeteria will stop on May 1.

• April 10Baseball plays at 6:30 P.M. at home April 10.

• April 10Caps and gowns will be handed out April 23.

• April 10Yearbooks can still be purchased for $100 in B118.

• March 21Deadline to apply to the Sara Lynn Murphy Memorial Scholarship is April 15

• March 21Lost and found will be donated March 23

• March 9Prom tickets will be for sale one March 21 for $35

• January 10Seniors: Check the board next to the counseling office for scholarship opportunities.

• December 4Senior yard signs will be on sale for $20 until April 6.

College Costs Skyrocket, Making Scholarships Essential

Porter+Hassel%2C+Sean+Smith+and+Baylee+Kalb+discuss+various+scholarship+opportunities.+
Porter Hassel, Sean Smith and Baylee Kalb discuss various scholarship opportunities.

Baylee Kalb, Staff Writer

We’re officially two weeks away from pigging out at Thanksgiving! But until then, seniors will be getting emails left and right about acceptance and scholarships. Starting now, the process for college decisions gets serious.

Being accepted into Lipscomb has been an incredible blessing, but the school costs about $42,000 a year (RIP my bank account).  Once this month started, I jumped on many opportunities. I finished my application for a full tuition scholarship, which only 10 freshmen receive every year. I have been feeling nervous and hopeful while I wait for a response. Many people apply for this scholarship, so my chances are slim. I’ve also been applying for anything I can find on google. My parents and I began finding any back-up plans in the case that Lipscomb is too much of a payment for me to take on as a loan. My other school options are Freed-Hardeman University, MTSU, and Lee University.

I talked to some friends about what their school plans are and what kind of back-up plans they have  in case. Porter Hassell told me that she will attend the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. “My parents are both alumni, and I’ve loved UT football since I was younger,” she said. “UTK has already offered me a scholarship based on my ACT and GPA, and I just started on applying for the more competitive scholarships because the cost is about $23,000 yearly.” In the case that she does not receive the scholarships she applies for, Porter plans on working on campus to start paying off tuition, with some help from her parents.

I also asked Sean Smith about where he was planning on attending for college. “I’ve looked into USC, Texas A&M, Baylor, University of Central Florida, and University of South Florida” he said. His top choice is USC, which is the University of South Carolina. He said that these are his top choices because they all have good engineering programs, and he loves the beaches nearby. “Hopefully, I’ll get the USC Merit Scholarship, but if not, there are good alternative scholarships offered,” he explained. “Because USC is $72,000 a year, Texas A&M is my back-up school. It’s about half as much in costs and I will get a full ride there.”

As we’re all searching more and more for scholarships, we’re realizing that it’s always the best option to have back-up schools. I am hopeful to attend Lipscomb University in the fall of 2018, but I am keeping options open for other potential schools. I will also continue to apply for more scholarships, which would be a good idea for all other seniors as well.

0