The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• January 10Softball tryouts are Feb. 12-13. Email Coach Buchanan or Coach Brown for more info.

• January 10Drivers Education applications are in the counseling office. Apply ASAP!

• January 10PSAT results are in!

• January 10Seniors: Check the board next to the counseling office for scholarship opportunities.

• January 10Makeup exams will be held Jan. 8-11 after school in the library.

• December 4Senior yard signs will be on sale for $20 until April 6.

• December 4Senior quotes are due Dec. 15 to Laura Kim.

• October 24If you plan to ride the late bus please sign up before 8th period

• October 10Seniors: Check the spelling and accuracy of your name on the counseling window!

Seniors Get Scruffy

Seniors+Charlie+Worth+and+Jordan+Rickwa+are+all+about+raising+men%27s+health+awareness.+
Seniors Charlie Worth and Jordan Rickwa are all about raising men's health awareness.

Ames Arrington, Staff Writer

If you have wondered why people are looking hairier than usual this month, look no further. Whether it’s your brother, colleague, teacher or son, odds are you’ve seen more facial hair on someone than you’re typically used to.

The purpose of this hairy movement is to help raise awareness for all things men’s health, with an emphasis on the oft overlooked male prostate cancer crisis. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men, something not widely known, hence the importance of No Shave November. The idea is that the more people who don’t shave means more attention being drawn to all things men’s health.

Students and faculty at Independence might notice an uptick in facial hair, especially from those in the senior class.

Charlie Worth, resident hairy faced senior, gave some insight as to what it means to not shave for a month. “My mom isn’t a fan, but I’m enjoying it thoroughly,” Worth explains. “I’m excited to see how the dirty ‘stache looks at the end of the month.”

Jordan Rickwa, fellow senior, sees it as an opportunity to do something he doesn’t typically do. “I can go full blown caveman with no judgement, best time of the year.” Needless to say, going unkempt and sometimes unsightly has many unseen benefits to you and your loved ones.

Next time you see a face atypically covered in hair, remember to pay tribute and think about scheduling a prostate exam for you or a special man in your life.

20