The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• November 14ACT bootcamp starts Dec.2 and signups are due by Nov.30

• November 14No backpacks will be allowed in the serving line of the cafeteria after Thanksgiving break.

• November 13Legally Blonde auditions are Nov. 27 and Nov. 28. Sign ups are outside of F112

• November 8Indy Aviation will meet Nov.14, from 3 p.m. to 3.45 p.m. in D215

• October 24If you plan to ride the late bus please sign up before 8th period

• October 10Seniors: Check the spelling and accuracy of your name on the counseling window!

GSA Meetings Have Begun

Indy's GSA shares the love with it's students

Courtney Washington, Staff Writer

The Gay-Straight Alliance is a student led club, with advisers Lori Freeman and Matt Brewer in room D123 at IHS. Sammi Passman, a senior at IHS, is the Gay-Straight Alliance leader, and works hard to create a safe environment at school for people who are part of the LGBT community, or those who support inclusiveness.

The Gay-Straight Alliance’s main purpose is to make “students feel safer to be who they are, and spread information about the LGBT to others.”

Meeting every Thursday at 3 p.m. the GSA goes over key things such as LGBT history, historic people who were part of the LGBT, and help give reassurance to all members and anyone in the LGBT who feel unsafe or worried. The group provides a safe, confidential, educational, and fun environment for everyone. At the group, students can talk about anything related to school, the LGBT, bullying prevention, community, shares Passman.

Matt Brewer, english teacher, says that it is “important for all kids to feel safe at school,” and have a sense of belonging. He believes that GSA has and will help students by showing “they are not alone, and they have someplace where they can be themselves.” According to Brewer, society was once a lot less accepting of people “coming out,” and often made everyone uncomfortable, however, today it is safer and more acknowledged. It has become more widespreadly accepted due to many “straight allies,” who show their support and love for all members of the LGBT.

Brewer says many students can help become straight allies by, “showing up to group, meeting the kids, voicing your support, and standing up for them.” He also says that, ”just voicing your support can help save lives, and show that they are never alone.”

The group also has many events and activities including, a coat/blanket drive for the homeless in October, movie trips about LGBT, and the “Day of Silence” in spring.

Brewer says the end goal for the club is “to get something out of it, whether its friends, knowledge, or understanding.” When people join the Gay-Straight Alliance they will be sure to find for an amazing feeling of community, love and acceptance at IHS.

0