INDYNOW

• January 10Softball tryouts are Feb. 12-13. Email Coach Buchanan or Coach Brown for more info.

• January 10Drivers Education applications are in the counseling office. Apply ASAP!

• January 10PSAT results are in!

• January 10Seniors: Check the board next to the counseling office for scholarship opportunities.

• December 4Senior yard signs will be on sale for $20 until April 6.

• October 24If you plan to ride the late bus please sign up before 8th period

• October 10Seniors: Check the spelling and accuracy of your name on the counseling window!

Indy Achieves Dual Enrollment

Blake Woodard is ready to do great in his dual enrollment class.

Danielle McCarty, Staff Writer

Dual enrollment is a class for students who want to take a college course class like English, digital arts, CAD, etc.

There are two places students can take your dual enrollment course. Students can take the class at the school or drive to which ever college is having the class. Dual enrollment is mainly for seniors but students can take these classes as a junior as well if these students take all the required classes before they start dual enrolling.

According to Savannah Falcone, senior “I am very glad I chose to do dual enrollment. In my opinion, I believe taking my dual enrollment class was a better option for me than taking AP Literature. Although this could be different depending on what kind of student you are, and what classes you love to take.” Savannah also recommends that if students would like to go ahead and get started on their college courses, then they should definitely join.

If a student would like to join, they will need to meet the requirements. The student will need a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.  To remain eligible for the dual enrollment grant, once the student is in the class they will have to keep a 2.75 GPA or above or they will be removed.

The amazing thing about taking these classes is that these dual enrollment courses are getting these students started on their college credits early. For the classes at the college, it will benefit these students by showing them what a campus life is like so the transition from high school to living on your own will make it just a bit easier. Participating in a dual enrollment program is an amazing way to show the colleges in which you apply that you are capable of challenging courses and taking that big step. Although taking these classes at school also is great so students do not have to make the drive to the college every couple days.

If dual enrollment is something that sounds interesting for these upcoming junior and seniors, be sure to talk to the Indy counselors to get more information.

0