INDYNOW

• January 10Softball tryouts are Feb. 12-13. Email Coach Buchanan or Coach Brown for more info.

• January 10Drivers Education applications are in the counseling office. Apply ASAP!

• January 10PSAT results are in!

• January 10Seniors: Check the board next to the counseling office for scholarship opportunities.

• December 4Senior yard signs will be on sale for $20 until April 6.

• October 24If you plan to ride the late bus please sign up before 8th period

• October 10Seniors: Check the spelling and accuracy of your name on the counseling window!

SOARing for success

Grace+Rose%2C+Grace+Craig%2C+Megan+Karner%2C+Emily+Jones+and+Karis+Anderson+enjoy+the+hour+long+lunch+outside.+
Grace Rose, Grace Craig, Megan Karner, Emily Jones and Karis Anderson enjoy the hour long lunch outside.

Taylor Rainbolt, Staff Writer

A new year calls for new beginnings. Independence High School is instilling a new lunch program called SOAR. SOAR stands for “Student Opportunity for Academic Recreation.” The hour lunch started on Tuesday, Sept. 5, and they will continue every Tuesday and Thursday.

The goal of these extended lunches is to keep students on top of their curriculum. If a students are missing any work, quizzes or tests, SOAR will allow them to complete it during the first 30 minutes. Names will be posted on the projector in the cafeteria along with where to go. In case you “did not see your name on the list,” forth and fifth period teachers will share the list.

Students may be tempted to not see their teacher, however it will be considering skipping class.

Students who are not requested by teachers will be able to indulge in an hour long lunch. Students must stay on campus; they are not allowed to drive to grab lunch. Academic hallways are off limits due to classes being held in them. Places to enjoy an extended lunch would be: the commons, outside patio and the cafeteria.

Underclassmen eat lunch on the staircases because there is no room in the cafeteria.

The first day of SOAR received mixed emotions from the student body. Sara Grace Fulkerson did not like the lunch, because ” There weren’t enough tables, ” Fulkerson continues that “people had to sit on the floor.” Space seems to be to be an issue when combining to classes into one lunch. Students gathered around the staircases, floors and by the front office.

Kylie Knolt, Lily Farris, Ellie Barnett and Chloe Walls cozy up during SOAR.

However, Grace Mckissick enjoyed the lunch very much. She said, “I liked having extra time to eat my lunch and socialize, since I didn’t have work to do.”

1