The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• September 18The Indy talent show will be Sept 21st at 7pm in the IPAC

• September 11School pictures are Thursday, Sept. 21st

• September 11The college fair will be held September 20th at the Cool Springs Galleria Mall

• September 8Yearbooks will be for sale for 85$ until the end of September.

• September 8IndyNow sends love to all those affected by the hurricanes!

Jock Dances Across the Stage

Hunter Dupree, taking one of few breaks during choreography practice for Cinderella.

Hunter Dupree, Staff Writer

I’m used to a big stage, bright lights and hundreds of people watching me. Every fall for the past six years, I’ve played football for Independence, and the pressure was on. I’d lace up my cleats, buckle up my pads, and trot out onto the field and perform for about two hours.

But the next time I perform, I’ll be on a real stage.

I’ve always been considered an outgoing person, but I’ve never had time to do anything other than sports. However, this year I decided to take the spring off  and try something new.

The first semester this year, I was put in Theater I class in order to complete half of my fine art credit. This class was pretty familiar, because I had taken Theater in middle school, but I never expected something to come of it.

Well, winter break rolled around and along with it came auditions for the spring musical: Cinderella.  Everyone was edging me on to audition. There was only one problem; auditions were the week of the Blue Cross State Championship.

After careful consideration, I decided against auditioning. Fortunately, my Theater teacher, Becky Williams, made a deal with me. As long as I showed up for all rehearsals,  I could be in the show.

And so, here I am. Waltzing and singing across the stage wasn’t what I expected to do with my last spring semester, but I can’t say I don’t enjoy it.

My friends may make fun of me when they see the show, but at least I’ll know how to dance with a girl.

7