The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• November 14ACT bootcamp starts Dec.2 and signups are due by Nov.30

• November 14No backpacks will be allowed in the serving line of the cafeteria after Thanksgiving break.

• November 13Legally Blonde auditions are Nov. 27 and Nov. 28. Sign ups are outside of F112

• November 8Indy Aviation will meet Nov.14, from 3 p.m. to 3.45 p.m. in D215

• October 24If you plan to ride the late bus please sign up before 8th period

• October 10Seniors: Check the spelling and accuracy of your name on the counseling window!

Indy Winter Drumline Anticipates New Show for the New Season

Callie Rogers, Staff Writer

“Don’t wait. Do something when you’re young, when you have nothing to lose.” These are the opening words of an uplifting, inspiring show about taking chances, following your heart, and seizing every opportunity. This is a show encouraging both performers and viewers alike to feel young at heart and pursue their goals and dreams. This is the show When You’re Young, the Independence Winter Drumline’s program for the 2017 winter season.

Many members of the Winter Drumline are very excited for this show and what it has to offer from a musical standpoint. “The show sounds really cool,” says Canaan Carpenter who will be marching tenors this season. “The drum parts sound really good with the music,” Carpenter added. “It’s really groovy.” He is most looking forward to the tenor solo featured in the second movement of the show, as well as the intense drum parts at the end of both movements.

Melissa Rothenstein, who will be on marimba for the first time this season, also really loves the music for the show. “The marimba part sounds really cool and is complicated,” she explained. “There are a lot of cool chords.” In addition to the music sounding great, it’s also been very suitable for the ensemble to learn and perform well. “We’re learning the music relatively quickly for the limited amount of time we have,” Rothenstein explained.

In addition to its musical potential, the show also holds a ton of potential for success at contests and throughout the season as a whole.

“It’s kind of similar to the theme we did for the fall, which did really well,” says Rothenstein, referring to Shine, the Independence Marching Band’s award-winning fall show. “As long as we perform with the right mindset…I think we’ll do great.”

Not only will the show be great in a competitive aspect, but it will also be great for bringing the drumline closer together as an ensemble. “I really like the whole vibe we’re going for this year,” Carpenter explained. He believes that the ensemble is working a lot harder this year, and that the season will be a great one. Rothenstein agreed. “This year we’re closer with each other than we have been in the past,” she said, explaining that the closeness of members will help improve performances and make the whole season more fun and rewarding.

1