The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• May 4IGC is selling T-Shirts for 20$. All proceeds go to Lily's Foundation.

• April 17Seniors, turn in your acceptance letters to the counseling center to get your star up!

• April 17Seniors, make sure you turn in your transcripts to the counseling center.

• December 6Indynow wants YOU to be careful behind the wheel!

Fun in the Sun is Not All Fun

Jack Hebert, Staff Writer

We all love to go outside, especially when Spring arrives and the weather is nice. There is nothing quite like the warm feeling of the bright sun on your skin. Most of us don’t even think twice about going out in the sun to have fun, not worrying about protection from the sun’s rays.

While the sun does a lot of good for our bodies, its UV rays can harm us in potentially lethal ways. As Spring Break is closely approaching, it is important to know the risks and benefits of spending a lot of time in the sun.

Vitamin D, a key nutrient that our body needs, is absorbed by our skin when we spend time in the sun. A WebMD study shows that over 40 percent of adults do not get the proper amount of vitamin D that they need.

Although the sun is a good source of Vitamin D, doctors recommend that you should get it from food rather than the sun because of the harmful effects that too much sunlight can have on human skin. Harmful UV rays can burn your skin and lead to skin cancer.

The best way to prevent sunburn is to stay indoors. But obviously people are going to want to go outside, especially since Spring Break starts on Friday. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends wearing protective clothing and sunscreen. To decrease the risk of sunburn, you should reapply sunscreen at least every two hours.

So as you have fun in the sun this Spring Break, make sure you are being careful. Apply sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and most importantly stay safe.

0