The student news site of Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tennessee

INDYNOW

• May 4IGC is selling T-Shirts for 20$. All proceeds go to Lily's Foundation.

• April 17Seniors, turn in your acceptance letters to the counseling center to get your star up!

• April 17Seniors, make sure you turn in your transcripts to the counseling center.

• December 6Indynow wants YOU to be careful behind the wheel!

Jock Dances Across the Stage

Hunter Dupree, taking one of few breaks during choreography practice for Cinderella.

Hunter Dupree, Staff Writer

I’m used to a big stage, bright lights and hundreds of people watching me. Every fall for the past six years, I’ve played football for Independence, and the pressure was on. I’d lace up my cleats, buckle up my pads, and trot out onto the field and perform for about two hours.

But the next time I perform, I’ll be on a real stage.

I’ve always been considered an outgoing person, but I’ve never had time to do anything other than sports. However, this year I decided to take the spring off  and try something new.

The first semester this year, I was put in Theater I class in order to complete half of my fine art credit. This class was pretty familiar, because I had taken Theater in middle school, but I never expected something to come of it.

Well, winter break rolled around and along with it came auditions for the spring musical: Cinderella.  Everyone was edging me on to audition. There was only one problem; auditions were the week of the Blue Cross State Championship.

After careful consideration, I decided against auditioning. Fortunately, my Theater teacher, Becky Williams, made a deal with me. As long as I showed up for all rehearsals,  I could be in the show.

And so, here I am. Waltzing and singing across the stage wasn’t what I expected to do with my last spring semester, but I can’t say I don’t enjoy it.

My friends may make fun of me when they see the show, but at least I’ll know how to dance with a girl.

7